Be prepared to target visitors like never before! With Smart Messages, you can automatically display custom messages to target your website visitors in many different scenarios. Note: this feature is available with Premium Plus accounts.
How to create a smart message:
- You’ll want to ensure you are registered for a Formilla account.
- Once you are registered, simply login to your Formilla dashboard, mouse over “Contacts” in the menu (or “Customize” for Wix app users), and select “Smart Messages.”
- Once on the smart messages page, click the “Add Smart Message” button to arrive on this page:
- Name your Smart Message – website visitors won’t see the text, so you can write whatever you’d like.
- Time on Page – the timer defaults to 15 seconds but can be changed. This is the number of seconds to wait before automatically displaying the message to a website visitor.
- Is Active – it is marked “yes” by default, but you can easily pause your message from displaying to website visitors by choosing, “no.”
- Enter a message to display to the visitor.
- Next, click on the Display Rules tab to customize your smart message targeting.
Need some ideas? Here are just a few ways to use Smart Messages:
Visitor type (new visitor vs. returning visitor)
If you’re targeting a new visitor, create a smart message in which only new visitors to your website would see. Then, in the display rules tab, scroll down to visitor status, click the box to enable it, and it should say “is new user” and save changes.
If you’re targeting a visitor that has been to your website in the past, follow the steps above, but instead of “is new user” it should say, “is returning”.
Visitor on a Specific Page
To set up a smart message so it only pops up for visitors on a specific page, you’ll create the message, head to the display rules, scroll down to Page URL , select “exactly matches”, followed by entering the specific page/s that you’d like that particular smart message to be displayed on.
Example: Hi there! Did you have any questions about placing an order?
To set up a smart message so it only pops up for people from a particular country, for example, you’ll create the message, head to the display rules, scroll down to country and list the country/ies that you’d like that particular smart message to be displayed to.
Visitor’s Browser Language
To set up a smart message so it only pops up for people whose browser is set to a specific language, you’ll create the smart message, head to the display rules, scroll down to browser language and list the language that you’d like that particular smart message to be displayed to.
Match any vs. match all filters
Use “Match Any Filters” when you have selected multiple filters and want the smart message to show up for any of them selected (match any of these conditions).
Example: Show to anyone located in the U.K., U.S. or Australia
Use “Match All Filters” when you would like the smart message to show up only when all of the conditions apply.
Example: Show to only those who are returning visitors AND are located in the U.S.
There you have it! Adding smart messages allows for more advanced targeting of your visitors. If you’re having trouble, just CONTACT US! We’re always happy to help and we mean that!